IRISH DALRIADA by Hugh Alexander Boyd

This article first appeared in The Glynns Volume 8 and is re-presented here in it’s original format.     Irish Dalriada has been represented in not a few histories, maps and references of various kinds as including the northern half of what is now the county of Antrim and that part of what is now … Read more

PLACE-NAMES IN THE PARISH OF LAYD by Cahal Dallat

This article first appeared in The Glynns volume 8 (1980).  It is re – presented here with additional photographs and hyperlinks.   The parish of Layd is entirely situated in the barony of Lower Glenarm and is bounded on the north by the parish of Culfeightrin and the Granges of Innispollan and Layd; on the … Read more

PLACE-NAMES IN THE PARISH OF CULFEIGHTRIN by Cahal Dallat

This article previously appeared in The Glynns Volume 9 (1981).  It is re presented here with additional hyperlinks and photographs. The barony takes its name from the Cahir Righ, traditionally the summer court or seat of Connor, King of Ulster in the first century of the Christian era. The Cahir Righ was situated in the … Read more

Memoirs Of The Geological Survey: To Accompany Sheet 14 Of The Maps Of The Geological Survey Of Ireland: Symes R.G. & McHenry, A. With Palaeontological Notes By W.H Baily. Dublin (1886)

Reproduced Courtesy: Geological Survey of Ireland, Geological Survey Northern Ireland & British Geological Survey  http://www.geologicalmaps.net/irishhistmaps/index.cfm                                                                

THE ORDNANCE SURVEY MEMOIR FOR THE PARISH OF RATHLIN

    The Society is indebted to Mr. P. M Bottomly, research assistant at the Public Record Office, Northern Ireland, for the following introductory note on the initial stages of the Ordnance Survey in Ireland.  “In 1824 a Royal Commission, which had investigated problems of land valuation in Ireland, recommended that the entire island should … Read more

Statistical Account of Ardclinis and Laid by The Rev. Richard Stewart Dobbs, Curate

(This article first appeared in Volume 2 of The Glynns in 1974; it is presented here with added photographs and hyperlinks)   Having previously published the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for both the above parishes, the Society now presents a reprint of a survey made in 1817, some fifteen years by their curate.  The survey is … Read more

Some Place Names In The Parish Of Ballintoy

    Coolmaghery The corner of the plain. Knocksoghey The hill of the vessel (ship). Ballintoy The northern town. Larrybane The White site (of the fort). Carrickarede The rock of the passage (of the salmon). Portareevy The port of the dwarf. Magheracastle The plain of the Cashel (or stone fort). Lagavar The hollow of the … Read more

Ordnance Survey Memoir For The Parish Of Culfeightrin*

The Society wishes to thank the Officers of the Royal Irish Academy for kindly permitting the publication of this Memoir, and the Staff of the Northern Royal Ireland Public Record Office for its assistance in transcribing the text. The Society has already published the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for a number of parishes within the Glens, … Read more

THE MILLS OF THE MIDDLE GLENS by Malachy McSparran Volume 4 (1976)

  Up until about twenty-five years ago, the mill was a prominent feature in the life of this area of the Middle Glens. Since that time when the last mill ceased to function, they have gradually disappeared. The purpose of this article is to identify and record what information is known about these mills before … Read more

TOWNLANDS IN THE COUNTY ANTRIM PLACENAMES IN THE PARISH OF DUNLOY AND CLOUGHMILLS by CAHAL DALLAT

  Anticur An tigh coradh The house of the weir or carry. * Anticur House was at one time the residence of Lord Fleming, Baron of Slane. Artiferral Ard tigh Fearghail The hill of Farrell’s house Ballinaloob Baile na luib Townland of the river bends * The land here is very flat and low-lying and … Read more