INDEX of THE GLYNNS Vol. 35

THE PORT OF CUSHENDUN: TRADE AND SMUGGLING TO AND FROM KINTYRE. Deirdre Roberts

 

The History of Cushendun port ,from the mid 16th century when James McDonnell landed in Cushendun to assist Sorley Boy; trade through the 17th century; ferries in both directions; smuggling in the 18th century.

 

Photograph of Coastguard buildings Cushendun; small map of Ulster/ Kintyre; reproduction of lines from Kintyre District Roads Trustees 1801.
PLACENAMES IN CUSHENDUN PARISH

 

Dr Colin Parmar The different spellings of various placenames including Layde & Inispollan; their interpretation from Irish.  
GLENAAN, ITS PEOPLES AND CUSTOMS Felix McKillop

 

Tracing the history of Glenaan from earliest settlers in the Stone Age, through to the coming of Christianity, the Vikings, Anglo-Norman invasion, English and Scottish planters. Mention of some of the old customs.  
ALL THAT REMAINS Anne McCormick Poem   
THE MCKEEGANS OF GLENAAN Timothy J Murphy

 

Tracing the family name back to Scotland through the 16th and 17th centuries.  
THE OLD CHURCH SPEAKS (TO THOSE WHO ARE LISTENING)

 

Neill Hall Poem  
CUSHENDUN OLD CHURCH Kerry Goyer

 

History of the Church; construction in 1838; historical and religious background; the restoration project.

 

Sketch of the church exterior; Photographs of the interior/ exterior of the church & the ‘Restoration Village’ group.
AN INSIGHT INTO SLAVE OWNERSHIP FROM 18TH CENTURY DOCUMENTS DJ McGill

 

Examining 18th century wills and letters; slave ownership, plantations; the Boyd family mentioned – connections to the Boyds of Ballycastle.

 

Reproduction of a land deed showing list of slaves.
SOME PHRASES OF RATHLIN ISLAND IRISH Ciaran Dunbar

 

Examining the specific dialect of Rathlin,using recordings made in 1979 with the last native speaker, Mrs Bella McKenna; seeing links with Scots Gaelic and Manx Gaelic in its pronunciation.  
THE IRISH LANDMARK TRUST Caroline Crawley

 

The work of the Landmark Trust in rescuing and restoring historic buildings, from lighthouses to gate lodges, and converting them to holiday accommodation; generating income and stimulating local economies.

 

Photographs of Trust properties including Wicklow Head Lighthouse; Clomantagh Castle Kilkenny; Gate Lodge at Colebrook Park Fermanagh; Glenarm Gate Lodge;
THE EXCAVATION AT THE LAGG Frances Bach

 

Account by the present Rector, of an archeological dig at St. Patricks Church Armoy in 2000 -2003. Discovery of original monastery; bronze and pottery finds; jewellery factory; 1000 yr old preserved nuts and seeds. Great public interest, local talks, BBC ‘Earthworks’ programme.

 

Photograph of St. Patricks Church Armoy
BALLYCASTLE COLLIERIES AND SALT WORKS LEASES (1720 –1735) DJ McGill

 

Investigation of the 18th century leases; the proposals, and the people involved.

 

Drawing of typical salt works of this period
IN CENTENARY PURSUIT OF DR. DAVID BUICK (1842 -1907) OF SANDY BAY,LARNE : 20 YEARS AFTER THE PUBLICATION OF ‘BUICKS AHOGHILL’ IN 1987. GLIMPSES OF ITS POSSIBLE COMPILER (1901) AND OTHER EAST ANTRIM PRESBYTERIAN CONNECTIONS

 

Dr Eull Dunlop

 

Identifying some influential middle-class Presbyterians in the area in the 19th century.

 

Photograph of Mr & Mrs Buick; 2 memorial windows; Cairncastle and Cushendall Presbyterian Churches.

Leave a Reply