Glentaisie is the most northerly of the nine glens and, lying as it does at the foot of Knocklayde mountain, is probably the most sheltered. It is about five miles long and opens out to a fine sandy beach at the beautiful historic town of Ballycastle.
Situated 25 miles from Ballymena and 20 miles from Coleraine, the area is steeped in history. Glentaisie was named after the Princess Taisie, the daughter of King Dorm of Rathlin Island. According to legend, Taisie, renowned for her great beauty, was bethrothed to Congal, heir to the Kingdom of Ireland. The king of Norway also sought her hand in marriage, and when he arrived to claim his bride her wedding celebrations to Congal were underway. The King of Norway and his army tried to capture Taisie but in the subsequent battle he was killed and his army fled leaderless and empty handed. More recent history deals with the arrival of the MacDonnell Clan from Scotland and even more recent is the fact that the first ever wireless message across a stretch of water was transmitted by Guglielmo Marconi from Ballycastle to Rathlin in 1898.
A survey of Glentaisie identified three clachans – Ballydurnian (1), Broombeg (2) and Broommore (3).