Ordnance Survey Memoirs for the parishes of Carncastle and Killyglen

Interest in these memoirs has led to the inclusion of Carncastle and Killyglen in the series published in The Glynns. There are four memoirs for these parishes. The first dated 1833 is by Lieut. Hore, the second and third by James Boyle 1835, and Lieut. Bleakley’s memoir on schools 1840. They are all printed here except for Boyle’s notes which, where they give details not in his memoir, are included in square brackets. We thank the officers of the Royal Irish Academy for giving us permission to publish. We also thank the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland for their help.

Ordnance Survey Memoir for the parishes of Carncastle and Killyglen, Co. Antrim, by Lieutenant Thomas Hore, March 1833.
Natural Features.
Name: The name of Carncastle is supposed to be derived from “Carn” (a heap) a castle on a heap or “Kern” perhaps “Cethern” a soldier.
Situation: These parishes are situated on the east coast of the county of Antrim in the Barony of Upper Glenarm between the towns of Larne and Glenarm and equally distant from each, the north of the parish being about 1½ miles from Glenarm and the south-east about the same distance from Larne. Carncastle gives its name to a prebend in the Diocese of Connor; the parish however is only a perpetual curacy held under the Prebend of Carncastle. Killyglen parish is situated directly south and adjoining Carncastle being only a narrow portion, (less than a mile broad) extending in length in east to west the whole of Carncastle’s breadth.
Boundaries: Carncastle parish is bounded on the east by the sea (the North Channel); on the north and North-west by Tickmacrevan parish in Lower Glenarm Barony, on the south-west by Kilwaughter parish and on the south its whole extent from east to west by Killyglen parish. The latter is bounded on the west and south by Kilwaughter parish and on the southeast by the parish of Larne.
Extent: These parishes extend from north to south about 6½ British miles and from east to west about 4½ miles, the northern portion not exceeding 2½ miles in breadth. They contain 12021 British statute acres of which Carncastle contains 9725½ acres and Killyglen the remaining 2295½.
Divisions: Carncastle parish is divided into 22 townlands and Killyglen has only four divisions of townlands. There is no Glebe in the parishes but there is in the townland of Ballygally about the centre of the parish of Carncastle a small church of the established religion which I have been informed is also the place of worship of those of that persuasion belonging to the parish of Kilwaughter. There is no Roman Catholic chapel, but there is the ruin of one in the townland of St. Cunning.
Population: the population of these parishes’ amounts to about 2,600, that of Carncastle as taken in the year 1831 amounted to 2,219. The great majority are Presbyterian; there is a rather considerable number of Roman Catholics and comparatively but few of the Church of England. Near the Southern boundary of Cokermaine, near the junction of old and new roads leading from Larne to Glenarm are situated two Presbyterian Meeting houses, one on each side of the road, that on the west side being only recently built.
The people consist chiefly – particularly on the lower or eastern side of the country – of the descendants of the Scottish emigrants, and are of most industrious and respectable class. Here there is a general appearance of extreme comfort. On the western or mountain side of the parishes this appearance does not prevail to nearly so great an extent, but I have in no instance observed or heard of a case of absolute poverty such as may be observed in other parts of the country. The chief classes are of the better order of farmers, occupying some very comfortable holdings of considerable extent and with (some?) appearance of prosperity. The chief proprietor, though there are several, is Mr Jones Agnew of Kilwaughter.
Surface and soil: These parishes are nearly equally divided by a line running north and south into sterile mountain, covered with heather and interspersed with rocks, and which is the western half, and a rich and excellent soil which consists of the east or lowland half.
This line of division consists of a splendid and nearly continuous chain of rocky cliffs whose summits generally rise from the north, near what is called the Path Head (which is 646 feet above sea level) southwards to the bog headland of Knockdhu, which is 1188 feet above the sea. From this there is a gentle descent southward for about two miles when the cliffs are lost within a short distance of the parish boundary of Carncastle and Killyglen. In walking along this line a traveller is well recompensed for any toil he may have endured, by the vast beauties of the scene all around him. Looking westward he beholds immediately near him the surface of the mountain on whose summit he stands, undulating and gradually descending for 2 or 3 miles to the valley of Glenarm while in the distance his eye embraces one vast extent of beautiful island scenery, the most conspicuous object being the mountain of Slemish.
Turning to the eastward the scene becomes completely changed. Here he can turn his eye from the frightful precipice at his feet he commands a splendid view of the sea with many parts of Scotland in the distance as well as the beautiful and varied line of the Irish coast southward while immediately under him he has the remaining eastern half of the parishes of Carncastle and Killyglen to the waters edge.
From Knockdhu the line of Cliffs form a complete semicircle round the west side of the town of Sallagh, and are completely lost on its south boundary, giving that townland the comfortable appearance of a well sheltered bay.
Produce: The general crops are potatoes, wheat, beans and oats in succession, potatoes being invariably the preparation crop. There has been very little (if any) flax cultivated for some time. This I believe is owing to 2 causes, first, the badness of the linen trade, second the goodness of the soil generally (with abundance of lime and facility in procuring sea manure) which is adapted to the growing of wheat; the produce consisting of the crops I have mentioned is more profitable. There are some good meadowlands in parts of this parish where irrigation may be carried out with facility.
Turbary: There is scarcely any turbary in the whole of these parishes and what there is often of a very inferior quality. All the supplies in this commodity are brought from the adjacent parish of Kilwaughter. Those however who can afford it, and who are in a convenient distance of Larne can always be supplied there with Scotch coals varying in price from 11s to 13s per ton. This mixed with turf I think makes a better fire, and as cheap as either burnt separately. I do not believe however it is done.
Limestone: The eastern half of these parishes everywhere abounds white limestone filled with flint.
Basalt: The western half of these parishes is topped with a thick coat of basalt and at several parts of the cliffs the junction points, where it is seen resting on the limestone, may be found. Besides this the headland of Ballygally, immediately on the seacoast and ()* feet above it shows a thick surface of basalt. At the most northeastern angle of this point of land a few basaltic columns are also visible.
Towns and villages: There is no town in this parish and the only village of any importance is the remarkably pretty one of Ballygally, which is about 3 miles from Larne and situated in the townland of Ballygally. This village consists of but few houses, a flourmill, and a cotton factory inhabited by the families, which have been employed at this factory. There is no market port or fair.
Manufacurers: There is no native manufacture carried on in these parishes, the chief occupation of the inhabitants being husbandry. Until the falling off of the linen trade something has been done in the spinning and weaving of flax for the Larne market, which has always been a very extensive one but lately I have been informed this business is scarcely, if at all, followed as a business here.
The cotton factory above alluded to, is now idle owing to the unprofitability of the business, the proprietor having found from the high price demanded in Belfast for the raw material, and the general dearth of the trade that it was not only unprofitable, but a losing concern. It has been established about twenty years. The factory is on the principle of the celebrated one of New Lanark in Scotland and is capable of employing from 80 to 100 persons old and young. When last at work (within a year) the smallest wages given to the youngest children was 1s.6d per week, the hours of work 12½ in the day. Those employed were chiefly women and children. The proprietor informs me that he intends soon again to set the machinery in motion and it’s to be hoped that he will be successful.
Rivers: There is no river or even stream of any importance in these parishes. There is a vast number of inferior small streams chiefly rising from the foot of the cliffs described above and falling eastward to the sea. There are also many small mountain streams of the west side of the parishes, which fall westwards into one of the branches of the Glenarm River.
Bogs, woods etc: There are scarcely any bogs in these parishes and they may be pronounced quite destitute of trees, there being but few scattered here and there at the different respectable farmhouses, with the exception of the townland of Ballygally in which the valley (?) extending from the village to the castle on the sea coast has some rather fine trees but not many. I have observed no indication that there ever had been woods in these parishes.
Roads: The southern portion of these parishes (particularly on the east side) is very well intersected with roads though generally speaking they are not good ones, being very hilly and not kept in sufficiently good order. The principal ones are those leading east and west through Killyglen from Broughshane under Skeagh Mountain to Ballynure (?); this is a very bad neglected mountain road, and the high roads from Larne to Glenarm; this being the chief road in the parish is the best in order (it is the only one passing through the northern portion of the parish) but it is generally very hilly and there is one portion of it called the White Path from being made over a bed of white limestone to the extent of three quarters of a mile that is tremendously and frightfully steep. There is in the distance of three-quarter mile from the foot to the top a rise of upwards 550’, and in some parts of the steep, the ascent is infinitely worse than others. This is a path on the north extremity of the parish.
From this high road, near the church, there are two roads striking off southward, one to Larne being the old (and very bad) high road, the other to Kilwaughter and Ballynure, which though rather hilly, is now in general good order. From this at the boundary stream between Sallagh and Ballytober there is another road north through the parish; it is called the Old Ballynure and Glenarm road and is a very bad, old neglected road, the greater half of it on the north being nothing more than a mountain track. It proceeds through the townlands of Sallagh, Ballyhacket, Corkermain and near the foot of the cliffs at Scawt (?), Ballygilbert and Lisnahay to the summit of the mountain Drimnagreagh.
A new line of coast road has been commenced upon under the direction of the government, a no less necessary than splendid undertaking; it is now in rapid progress at the most difficult part that is at the cliffs of the Little Deer Park in Tickmacrevan parish and there can be no rational doubt that when completed from the well known skill of the engineer entrusted with its execution, it will be most creditable work. Though the design is to open a coast road all the way from Carrickfergus to Ballycastle this is the only part that has yet been commenced upon; the present intention with regard to this parish is to strike off from the present road at the village of Ballygally to proceed north to the sea a short distance west of the castle and from that to proceed to Glenarm along the shore the whole way.
Antiquities: Directly under the headland called Ballygally Head, on the rocks projecting into the sea at high tide I believe surrounded by that element, there is a ruin of what was said to have been a Castle probably from which the parish of Carncastle derives its name and concerning which is a great number of marvellous stories now extant; one is that it was built by some daring freebooter who forcibly carried off the daughter of a neighbouring chieftain and confined her to his castle a long time; hence this ruin to this day, and its immediate neighbourhood is called by some people “the Ward”. The only remains of this building to this present day consists of some strong mason work enclosed in a space of about 15’ or 16’ square resembling the remains of a watchtower. A stranger examining the spot will find it difficult to conceive how from the nature and appearance of the rocks surrounding it any building of greater extent than that whose foundation still exists could have been erected on the spot.
There is not far removed from the above, and west of it, in Ballygally Bay, another castle of much more modern date and whose history can be better ascertained. This castle was built in the year 1625 by a Scotch man by the name of Shaw and is generally known as Shaw’s Castle. It and the property attached to it to the amount I believe of from £600 to £800 a year remained in the possession of this man’s descendants until about 12 years ago when it became property (by purchase) of Mr Agnew of Kilwaughter, the last of that house of Shaw having become embarrassed in circumstances from failure in mercantile or other pursuits. This castle was evidently in a place of some considerable strength for the wild times in which it was built, the turrets having been perforated for firearms and the entrance secured by a massive grated iron door which was also armed (?) by a recess perforated in a similar manner to the turrets. This Castle has been of late years modernised and is now the dwelling of the Chief Officer of the Coast Guard for the prevention of smuggling from which it would appear, if my information is correct, that it has been subject to a complete reverse of destiny having been supposed at one time to have been a stronghold for smuggling.
There are a great number of forts in all directions throughout these parishes, which is very much in appearance, some being low and flat and others high mounds.
(Signed) Thomas Hore, Lieutenant Royal Engineers.
2 March 1833
Natural features, modern topography and social economy by James Boyle.
April 7th 1835
Section 1: Natural Features
Hills: A lofty range of hills varying in height from 1262 to 931’ above the level of the sea extend along its western side from the southern (?) to the northern extremity of this parish where they unite with the “Path Head”, the south eastern end of the range of hills in the parish of Tickmacrevan. They are terminated at the south by Killyglen hill, which unites them with the northern side of Agnew’s Hill, and which forms a sort of arm to the semi circular range of precipices known by the name of the Sallagh Braes. The ascent on the eastern side of these hills or ranges which rising at first gradually from the coast, soon become abrupt and steep at length terminate by a precipitous bank extending along the summit of the range for about 4 miles from its northern extremity and in a southerly direction. After this the range takes a south-westerly direction for about ¾ mile gradually diminishing in height from 1,250 to 931’ above the level of the sea, and forming the north western side and western extremity of a sort of valley or defile which seems at one time to have been the path between the coast and interior of this part of the country1, and also forming the connection between this range and the Sallagh Braes. The bank again strikes off in a south-easterly direction rising rapidly to a height of 1177’ and becoming rocky and precipitous, joining the south-eastern side of the valley before mentioned. It extends in this direction for a little more than half a mile and forms a side of the narrow of the narrow and commanding promontory known by the name of Knockdhu 1188’ above the level of the sea; from this range of precipices become more regular and extending for a short distance in a south-westerly direction gradually forma lofty semi-circular range of cliffs known by the name of Sallagh Braes2, the south eastern extremity of which gradually terminate in a bank forming the support and the northern side of the Killyglen feature. The perpendicular fall of these precipices from 200 to 300’ and their total elevation above the subjacent country is from 400’ to 500’. The inclination of the ground from their base to the sea (a distance of 2½ miles) is gentle and gradual. The descent on the western side of the hills in this parish is comparatively gentle and smooth but is in some places interrupted by lesser hills or banks which extend along it from north to south. The summit of the Sallagh Braes is also a good deal varied by numerous little banks and bumps ( ) which are scattered over it. The average height of this range of hills from north to south is 1140’ above the level of the sea.
At the south-eastern end of the parish Ballygally Hill rises abruptly to an elevation of 297’ and extends along the coast for about 11/2 miles. Its fall toward the sea is gradual except at its northern end where it terminates in the picturesques and precipitous headland known by the name of Ballygally Head. The principal points are Lough Duff 1262; Scawt12( ); Knockdhu 1188 and Ballygally 297’ above the sea.
Lakes: There are 3 very small lakes in this parish. The largest is Lough Duff in the townland of the sma e name and has an elevation of 1122’ above the sea. Its greatest depth is about 3½’ and diameter about 112 yards. The second is much smaller and is close to the former; its greatest depth is not more than 2½’. The third is in the townland of Lisnahay north (?), it is 800’ above the sea; its extreme dimensions are 113 yards long, 26 yards broad and its greatest depth is 2’.
Rivers: Old Mill Burn is formed in the confluence of several minor steams, which take their rise about the bottom of the Sallagh Braes and flowing in an easterly direction they unite in one stream, which pursues a northerly course for one mile and then empties itself into the sea near Ballygally Castle. The highest source of the river is 680’ above the level of the sea. Its velocity in some places is considerable and its inundations are frequent; it does not make any deposits and it soon subsides. This river is very valuable for machinery to which purpose it is applied. It is also applicable to drainage and is used for irrigation. Its extreme breadth is 23’ and its depth 3’ but this is only where the banks are contracted. Its banks are very trifling and do not exceed 3’ in height except near its mouth where they rise to the height of about 10’. Its bed is for the most part gravely but in some places a sort of yellow clay.
The Close burn is an inconsiderable stream, which has its sources at the foot of a range of hills in this parish and at an elevation of 800’ above the level of the sea. It flows from about 1½ miles in an easterly direction after which it pursues a more northerly course for ¾ a mile until it empties itself into the sea. Its velocity is considerable but owing to its banks being too high it does not inundate the surrounding country. Its bed is for the most part rocky and gravely and its banks become gradually higher towards its mouth until they arrive at a height of 25’. Its extreme breadth is 11’ and depth about 2’. It is capable of being applied to machinery and drainage and is used for the latter purpose.
Baillie’s Burn is formed by a number of small streams which flowing in an easterly direction unite within a few yards of the sea into which they discharge themselves by one mouth at the northern side of the townland of St. Cunning. The principal source of this stream is in the townland of Ballycoos at an elevation of about 950’ above the level of the sea. It is subject to sudden floods, which fertilise the flat meadows through which it passes near its mouth. It subsides of itself and does not make any deposits on the surrounding country. It is applied to machinery and is capable of being applied to drainage. Its bed is mostly stony and its banks are inconsiderable except at its mouth where they are about 15’ high. The greatest breadth of this stream is 9’ and its depth 1½’.
The parish is well supplied with spring and river water.
Bogs: The bogs in this parish occupy the greater part of the tops of the mountains and their western sides at elevations of 900-1200’ above the level of the sea. They are not much used for fuel and are mostly shallow and covered with heath; They are also rocky and in many places (particularly where the ground is flat) very marshy and wet. Timber has not been found in them but may be owing to them not being used much for fuel.
Woods: There are not now remaining any natural woods in this parish but it is evident for the quantity of hazel brushwood still to be found along the eastern side of the range of hills in this parish that a considerable portion of it had at one time been under woods and it is very probable that its entire eastern side from the sea coast to the summit of the hills has at not very distant period been thickly wooded. Patches of hazel brushwood are to be found in almost every townland in parish, and particularly along the steep banks and hills at its northern extremity where it is very thick. It is also to be found in the lower grounds and on the banks along the seacoast but is now fast disappearing.
Coast: The coast of this parish extends for 6 miles for northwest to southeast and with the exception of Ballygally head consists of a range of banks rising abruptly from the shore and varying in height from 300’ to 20’. (The coast remarkably even, being for the greater part a sandy beach and having one but small headland known as Ballygally Head. About ( ) miles from the shore are the Maidens or Hulin Rocks the positions of which are pointed out by two lighthouses.) The most striking feature along this coast and one of the most conspicuous and interesting in the entire coast of this county is the bold promontory of Ballygally Head, which forms the northern extremity to a narrow ridge or feature which extends for about 1½ miles along the eastern coast of this parish. The headland rises abruptly from the water to the height of 297’ and faced on its northern and eastern sides with basaltic pillars which have a slight inclination to the land and are quite black except where they are covered with a species of lichen. Some of the joints are from 7’ to 8’ long and from 6’ to 8’ in diameter and are mostly pentagonal. The summit of this headland presents a very confused appearance and from the confused appearance of the rocks it seems to have been (at) some time the scene of some violent subterraneous commotion.
The scenery along this coast is rendered very interesting by the picturesque appearance of the headland just mentioned and the Pathead at the northern extreme of the parish and the views from all parts of the coast are varied and extensive.
Climate: The climate of this parish is healthy and the air pure but the harvest is later in this parish than that of Larne; this is owing to its exposure to the sea air and easterly winds and also to late and early frost and mists and heavy dews to which from its proximity to the mountains it is subject. The usual time for the general harvest is September and seedtime commences the latter end of March. These remarks of course only apply to the lower grounds as the mountains are uninhabited and uncultivated.
Section 2
Modern Topography
Towns: There is neither town and but one small village in this parish. (It is situated in the townland of Ballygally from which it takes its name. It is neither post, market or fair and consists of the residences of the persons who are employed in their adjoining cotton factory and flour mill.)
Public buildings: The public buildings in this parish consist of a church, an orthodox and a Unitarian meeting house. The church is a very plain little building 68’ long and 24’ wide and would accommodate about 120 persons. It stands in the townland of Ballygally and was erected on the site of the former one in the year 1815. This church has a very low spire.
The Orthodox Meeting House which stands in the townland of Cokermain is a plain substantial building 44’ long by 22’ wide; it is two-storeys high and has a gallery. It was erected in the year 1832 at a cost of £600 and would accommodate 350 persons.
The Unitarian Meeting House is in the same townland; it is 70’ long by 24’ wide and would accommodate 600 persons. It seems to have been once of greater extent then to have been rebuilt but it is not known when. There is a sundial on it bearing the date of 1779.

Gentlemen’s Seats:
There are not any gentlemen’s seats in this parish.
Manufacturies and Mills: There is a cotton mill in the townland of Ballygally the machinery of which was maliciously set on fire and destroyed in the month of February 1835. The wheel, which alone remains, is 22’ in diameter and is driven by over-shot water. The building consists of two floors and is 50’ long by 18’ wide.
There is a small corn mill in the same townland and near the cotton mill. The wheel, which is driven by breast water, is 18’ in diameter.
There is a small flax mill in Ballyruther townland. The wheel which is over-shot is 12’ in diameter. In the same townland is a small corn (mill) with an over-shot wheel 12’ in diameter. In the same townland and very near the flax mill is a dairy, the churn of which is worked by a small breast water wheel 6’ in diameter.
Communications: Seven miles of the main road from Larne to Glenarm (including about one mile of the new line of coast roads) pass through this parish. (This road is pretty level and in excellent repair; the few hills on it will be avoided by the new line of coast road under the Board of Public Works). A part of the old line of road to Larne from Glenarm passes through a part of this parish branching off from the new line about the centre of the parish; though the shorter road is not now used on account of steep hills on it at its southern end. About 1½ miles of road from Larne to Broughshane passes through the western extremity of this parish. It is not much used and is not in good repair. These roads are kept in repair at the public expense and their average breadth is 25’.
There are few or no by or crossroads in this parish.
The bridges are small and inconsiderable. They are sufficient in many respects and in tolerable repair.
General appearance of scenery: The scenery of this parish differs from that of almost any other on the coast of this county combining as it does all the romantic beauty which a lofty and precipitous range of hills extending along its western side and the bold headlands of both Ballygally and Path Head can afford together with the rich and cultivated tract of low ground thickly inhabited and studded with numerous and comfortable farmhouses stretching along its shore. In this parish seemed concentrated the extremely opposite characters, which those extending north and south from it (along the coast) present. Those to the north presenting a very bold and mountainous character while those to the south are more cultivated and the features less striking and are more gentle. The views of the Scottish coast from the eastern side of this parish are beautiful and extensive.
Section 3, Social Economy.
Early improvements: From about the year 1573 to the year 1680 the Scots continued to arrive and settle themselves in this parish and in a very few years became the sole possessors of it. Grants from 1,000 to 2,000 acres were made to individuals who were bound to build bawns and the largest occupiers were to plant on their estates 48 able men of English or Scotch descent and at this time the land was generally cleared of woods.
The inhabitants of this parish still retained the Scottish habits and accent and seemed to be a distinct class from those inhabiting the more northern parishes. No other cause of improvement can be traced nor is it likely that the obstinate dispositions of the people would permit them to avail themselves of any.
Local Government: There are neither Magistrates nor police in this parish. There are 10 coastguards.
With the exception of a cotton mill, which from some private cause was maliciously burned in February last, no outrages have recently occurred and outrage is rarely known in this part of the county.
There is a little illicit distillation carried on but it is much diminished. This parish previous to the establishment of the coastguard was noted for smuggling. No such thing in now known. There are not any insurances of any kind.
The Dispensary: There is no dispensary in this parish; the want to it does not seem much felt as there are few or no poor and very little disease of any kind.
Schools: The people seem anxious to have their children instructed in reading, writing and arithmetic and there seems an improvement in the moral habits of the rising generation. There are however considered very dull of apprehension, and not bright in their faculties (see table of schools).
Poor: Except the collection on Sundays at the different places of worship there is no provision for the poor.
Religion: The proportion of the Roman Catholics to the Protestants in this parish is 1-16 and Episcopalian to Presbyterians as 1-37. The Presbyterian clergy are supported by the Regium Donum and the curate of the established church (who is also curate of Kilwaughter and Killyglen) receives a salary of £80 per annum.
Habits of the people: The general style of the houses in this parish is much superior to that of the neighbouring parishes. The inhabitants are very comfortable and independent in their circumstances and manner of living. Many of their houses are two-storey; more are slated and they are well lit by glazed windows. The one-storey houses consist generally of three rooms and the two-storey of five rooms. Their houses though comfortable are perhaps not so cleanly or neat as might be expected. The people live well and tea forms an indispensable article of use with them. Meat such as pork and beef are regularly used and these with meal and potatoes form the principle food. Whisky drinking is carried to great excess and a great deal of that spirit is consumed in this parish. Turf is used for firing. The people dress remarkably well and comfortably. They are considered rather long lived; there are not any instances of longevity or early marriage on record; five is the average number of each family. Cards, dancing and cock fighting are their principle amusements. They are very social, hospitable and well conducted, obliging in their dispositions and honest and industrious in their habits.
Though ignorant they are quite free from superstition and are too thoroughly Scotch to allow any patrons days. There are no local customs nor is there anything peculiar to them except for their Scottish manners.
Emigration: There has not recently been any immigration from this parish and scarcely any go to the English or Scotch harvest.
There is not any remarkable event connected with history of this parish.
Footnotes:
It is very probable that the following circumstances that this valley or defile was at some distance period the only path between the coast of this parish and the more inland parts of this parish and also with Glenarm, and a reference to the hill sketch of the ground will show that the ascent here is more gentle and accessible than that at Path Head. Besides it appears that the acclivity of the Path Head as well as all the eastern side of the hills in this parish was covered with a dense wood and thick hazel brushwood still exists on either side of the present road on that hill. From the nature of the soil (it being a red spouty clay) on the surface of this valley, it would seem that woods have not been an obstacle here and the inconsiderable ascent of the bank at the western extremity of the valley seems also to have been partially avoided by a sort of cut something like the course of a stream which winds over the summit of the bank. The length of this bank or rather the breadth of the valley at this extremity of this bank is a small fort, or rather a heap of very small stones which seem to have been materials of the fort; it is on the edge of the cut aforementioned. At the south side of the bank are two lesser forts several feet lower than the former; one of these is sunk and hollowed. Between this fort and Glenarm there are several large upright stones in a right line between those points. Two of these stones (one of which is near the fort) are very large, very nearly 6’ high and 2’ in diameter.
The Sallagh or Sallagh Braes are the semi-circular range of basaltic precipices, which extend in a northerly direction from southern end of this parish. They are said to derive their name from the Irish word Seelagh that signifies crooked. Their name is not given in the 6” plans.
Ballygally Castle: This castle (if such it can be called) is situated on the sea coast of Ballygally townland. It was built in 1625 by a Mr. Shaw as would appear from a stone over a doorway inside the building on which the arms of his family and his initials and also those of his wife (Elizabeth Busby) are inside. It contains three storeys and a garret to which light is admitted trough the lattices. Their entrance to the apartments upstairs is by a winding stone staircase inside the building but in the back (?) part of it at the bottom of this is a strong iron door and stone door case. The apartments on the first floor are all wainscoted with fir. The main walls are 4’6” thick. There are a great many small windows in the rear and eastern side of the building and it evidently seems intended for defence. The ground around it is nearly level. It is now inhabited by the coastguard officer and his men and is in tolerable order.
(Vol. 11, 1983, The Glynns, Copies of the articles can be purchased from the societies bookshop)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.